Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 09:23:14PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > Group ownership and permissions aren't a backup-method-specific
> > > requirement either, in my view.  I'm happy to chat with Marco (who has
> > > said he would be weighing in on this thread when he is able to)
> > > regarding barman, and whomever would be appropriate for BART (perhaps
> > > you could let me know..?), but if it's possible to do a backup without
> > > being a superuser and with only read access to the data directory, I
> > > would expect every backup soltuion to view that as a feature which they
> > > want to support, as there are environments which will find it desirable,
> > > at a minimum, and even some which will require it.
> >
> > pg_dump doesn't need to read the PGDATA directory, and I thought this
> > permission was to be used by pg_dump users as well.
>
> No.  That has been a source of confusion, though I'm not quite sure how
> or why, beyond the general assumption that anything 'backup' must
> include 'pg_dump' (I don't generally consider that to be the case,
> myself, but it seems others do...).

I think the source of that is that many people have asked for
backup-only uses, and I thought running pg_dump or pg_dumpall was one of
those cases.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +