Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan  4, 2016 at 12:55:16PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'd like to be able to include, in both of those, a simple set of
> instructions for granting the necessary rights to the user who is
> running those processes.  A set of rights which an administrator can go
> look up and easily read and understand the result of those grants.  For
> example:

> pgbackrest:
>
>   To run pgbackrest as a non-superuser and not the 'postgres' system
>   user, grant the pg_backup role to the backrest user and ensure the
>   backrest system user has read access to the database files (eg: by
>   having the system user be a member of the 'postgres' group):                               ------

Just to clarify, the 'postgres' OS user group cannot read the data
directory, e.g.
drwx------ 19 postgres staff 4096 Jan 17 12:19 data/    ^^^group

I assume we don't want to change that.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +