BUG #13686: Near disaster installing PostgreSQL version 9.4.5 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From billvelek@gmail.com
Subject BUG #13686: Near disaster installing PostgreSQL version 9.4.5
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      13686
Logged by:          Bill Velek
Email address:      billvelek@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.4.5
Operating system:   Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit

Briefly, my problem is that my installation of PostgreSQL (which probably
became corrupted, as I’ll explain later) apparently deleted my computer's
'Restore Points', and also temporarily stopped operation of some programs
including Chrome Browser version 46.0.2490.71 m.  Unless this was somehow
just a big coincidence, it is now also keeping me from creating new Restore
Points, as I’ll also explain.  But I think it is highly unlikely that this
is all just a coincidence.

First, I've read your bug-reporting page, but since I'm new to this I don't
understand all the terminology, but I'll do the best I can. I also checked
your TODO file and searched for 'Chrome', 'Restore', and 'CCleaner', and
found no mention of anything like this problem.

My platform is Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, in 64-bit mode.  In
case it makes a difference, my computer is a Hewlett-Packard Compaq
Presario, Model CQ5700F, running an AMD Athlon II 170u 2.00GHz processor.  I
don't know how much or the type of RAM, and can't find the info on my
control panel; it is whatever the computer came with (no _extra_ RAM was
ever installed). I connect to the Internet by DSL with a dynamic IP
address.

Now, this problem might be of my own making; I haven't installed software in
a long time, and forgot to follow my usual practice of closing all other
programs during an install.  Also, I must have overlooked any cautionary
instructions to do so during the install.  So in my carelessness, I still
had my Chrome Browser, File Manager, and WordPerfect word-processor all open
during install, if that makes a difference.  I also forgot my usual practice
of creating a new 'Restore Point' before installing, and of keeping notes as
I proceeded, therefore this description is all from memory.

I downloaded your 9.4.5 and installed it; at some point I was asked if I
also wanted to install the 'Stack', or 'Stack Builder', or whatever it’s
called (can't recall).  I picked 'yes', and upon reviewing all of its
options, I decided I didn't need any of them and could probably add them
later if I find that I do.  HOWEVER, I carelessly checked the box for
PostgreSQL 9.4.5 (which, of course, I had already just installed), and so as
I proceeded with the 'Stack'-installation, it apparently tried to install
9.4.5 all over again.

When I realized what was happening, rather than cancel the install I merely
selected another file folder. But during that SECOND install, I received a
pop-up that said that the program did _NOT_ install properly; this occurred
at the very end -- probably after it was about 95% complete.  Also please
note that during the install of either 9.4.5 or the 'Stack' (can't remember
which), I was asked about using some 'Port' (I can't recall the number), and
I chose whatever the number was from the menu (there was just one to choose
from).

At this point I have a suggestion.  I did not find any "What's this?"
hyperlink or any type of ‘help’ button or explanation as to the 'port', or
what it was for, etc., so I used the pull-down menu and saw just one
port-number listed, and I picked it without knowing what I was doing because
I thought it was probably needed.  I _respectfully_ suggest that you add
some info on the pop-up in that regard.

After I received the installation error-message, above, rather than risk
problems with a formerly good install conflicting with a corrupted second
install, I decided to UNinstall everything (both copies if possible), and
start all over again.  But when I found the PostgreSQL folder in my Window's
Task-Bar Programs-Menu, it did _NOT_ have an UNinstall program; if it was
SUPPOSED to, then it was probably missing due to the corrupted install.  So
I then went to my computer panel to use the standard Window's Uninstall.
PostgreSQL was listed among my other programs, so I selected it and clicked
on Uninstall; a pop-up said that it could NOT be UNinstalled (I can't
remember if it gave a reason).

This happened a few days ago with no time to do this until now, so I can't
really remember if my system was locking up or not, but I do seem to vaguely
recall that it was -- at least for awhile.  At least at some point I do
remember noticing the Windows spinning 'circle'-icon which indicates that a
program is doing something, and it just wouldn’t quit; and I definitely also
noticed a similar NON-spinning 'circle'-icon superimposed on the
‘Network/Internet Access’ icon in my 'tray' at the bottom-right of my
screen.  This suggested to me that my Internet connection might be
locked-up, perhaps because of the port setting I entered.

Anyway, I think I might have executed a 'control-alt-delete' reboot, but I'm
not positive; I can’t remember seeing a start-up screen asking if I wanted
regular or diagnostics mode, so maybe I never actually did a ‘reboot’, but
only a ‘reset’ instead.  In any event, whichever way I did it, I never
turned my computer ‘OFF’.

Whenever Windows restarted (whether by reboot or normal reset), I still had
problems.  To begin with, anytime I restart I always run CCleaner (by
‘Piriform’) to clean my registry; but after this reboot or reset, CCleaner
would NOT open.  I then went back to try to use Window's Uninstall again,
and received the same message -- it could NOT be uninstalled.  So I tried to
open my Chrome Browser so that I could find some help; it would NOT open,
... even after several attempts.  I then tried to open Windows Internet
Explorer, and made several attempts; it would NOT open, either.  By then I
was REALLY getting worried.  I tried WordPerfect and fortunately it _DID_
open and work okay.

I then completely 'shut down' my computer using the command-button on the
task-bar, and after the normal process the computer turned itself 'OFF'.  I
went to bed after a lot of praying.  As I lay there, I came up with the idea
of disconnecting my phone line in the morning so that maybe without an
Internet connection, the system would not lock-up and I could do something.
But when I got up in the morning my wife was on-line with another computer,
so I left the phone line alone and just turned my PC on.  At that point the
non-spinning circle-icon was no longer superimposed on the Internet Access
icon, and things looked like they had returned to normal.  CCleaner opened
and I did a Registry cleanup.  Chrome also opened and worked okay, except
that it did NOT open all of the 'tabs' that were opened when it closed; this
makes me think that my system was probably locked up which prevented a
normal exit, and I probably DID do a ‘reboot’.  Thankfully, bookmarks and
history are intact.

I retried a standard Windows UNinstall  PostgreSQL, and it _seemed_ to
actually work that time, and Windows deleted it from my _LIST_ of programs
which appears on mouse-over of ‘All Programs’ in the Task-Bar, so I thought
everything was fixed.  However, later I discovered many files and folders
related to PostgreSQL, as listed at the end of this message.

Thinking things were fixed but wanting to be sure, I decided to go back to
my last 'Restore Point' (which there SHOULD have been many saved since I
DEFINITELY created many in the past).  But there were _NO_ 'Restore Points'
at all; the Window’s pop-up says: "No Restore Points have been created on
your computer's system drive" (which is clearly not true).  But what is even
worse is that when I try to create a new one now, I receive the following
messages (in quotes):
"There was an unexpected error in the property page."
"System Restore encountered an error.  Please try to run System Restore
again.  (0X81000203)"
"Please close the property page and try again."

When I click ‘OK’, I get this message:
"Could not rescan the drives for the following reason: System Restore
encountered an error.  Please try to run System Restore again.
(0X81000203)."

Now, despite what initially _appeared_ to be a successful Window’s
Uninstall, I have discovered that there are numerous PostgreSQL files
remaining (which might be normal??), but I don’t want to delete them or
change anything until I learn more about this.  They are
a folder named C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL, although the task-bar
program-menu still doesn’t show the program.  That folder has one sub-folder
named ‘9.4’, which then has two sub-folders: ‘bin’ and ‘data’.  ‘Bin’ is
empty, but ‘data’ has many files and folders.  Rather than list all of the
sub-folders, they begin with "base" and the last one is "pg_xlog".  Then
below the folders, the following files are also listed:
pg_hba.conf
pg_ident.conf
PG_VERSION
postgresql.auto.conf
postgresql.conf
postmaster.opts

It’s probably pointless to give a complete list of all the folders and files
within the ‘data’ sub-folders unless and until someone here asks for one, or
to check to see if a specific file is still on my drive.

There are also these other folders/files:
postgresql_installer_d6c95af7c3
C:\Windows\Prefetch\UNINSTALL-POSTGRESQL.EXE-36A9207C.pf
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\uninstall-postgresql.log

I hope I have covered everything.  I’ve since retried to create a Restore
Point, but still can’t.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Velek