Re: Proposal: pg_confcheck - syntactic & semantic validation of postgresql configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Proposal: pg_confcheck - syntactic & semantic validation of postgresql configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-10-14 16:17:55 +0300, Amir Rohan wrote:
> it does fail the "dependent options" test:
> $ postgres -C "archive_mode"
> on
> $ postgres -C wal_level
> minimal

Yea, because that's currently evaluated outside the config
mechanism. It'd imo would be good to change that independent of this
thread.

> 5) Because it checks syntax only, you don't get the benefits of having
> an official place for the community to easily contribute rules that
> warn you against config pitfalls, so that all users benefits.
> See my OP for real-world examples and links about this problem.

I don't think we as a community want to do that without review
mechanisms in place, and I personally don't think we want to add
separate processes for this.

Greetings,

Andres Freund