Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-10-01 16:48:32 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> That would require people to actually use the bug form to submit the
> initial thread as well of course - which most developers don't do
> themselves today. But there is in itself nothing that prevents them from
> doing that, of course - other than a Small Amount Of Extra Work.

It'd be cool if there were a newbug@ or similar mail address that
automatically also posted to -bugs or so.

> I think when a patch is directly related to a specific bug as reported
> through the webform, don't most committers already refer to that bug
> number? Maybe not every time, but at least most of the time? It's the many
> discussions that don't actually have a bug number and yet result in a patch
> that don't?

I think it's mentioned somewhere in the commit message most of the time
- but not in an easy to locate way. If we'd agree on putting something like:
Bug: #XXX
Affected-Versions: 9.5-
Fixed-Versions: 9.3-
in commit messages that'd be a fair bit easier to get into the release notes..

Greetings,

Andres Freund