Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ktm@rice.edu
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 04:33:33PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 09/23/2015 03:05 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> > On 9/23/15 3:12 PM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> >> They also support Postgres as their backend (and you do find hints
> >> here and
> >> there
> >> that it is the recommended open source DBMS for them - but they don't
> >> explicitly state it like that). We are using Jira at the company I
> >> work for
> >> and
> >> all Jira installations run on Postgres there.
> >
> > I'll second Jira as well. It's the only issue tracker I've seen that you
> > can actually use for multiple different things without it becoming a
> > mess. IE: it could track Postgres bugs, infrastructure issues, and the
> > TODO list if we wanted, allow issues to reference each other
> > intelligently, yet still keep them as 3 separate bodies.
>
> Speaking as someone who uses Jira for commericial work, I'm -1 on them.
>  I simply don't find Jira to be superior to OSS BT systems, and inferior
> in several ways (like that you can't have more than one person assigned
> to a bug).  And email integration for Jira is nonexistant.
>
> When we discussed this 8 years ago, Debian said debbugs wasn't ready for
> anyone else to use.  Has that changed?

I do not think using a commercial system is a good idea. Currently, Jira
is free for open-source, but there is no guarantee. That could change at
anytime and result in possibly an expensive license cost or port to another
system. We use Jira/Confluence and the random loss of support for various
plugins caused by forced security-based upgrades has resulted in a lot of
unexpected work to maintain the system.

Regards,
Ken