Re: Autonomous Transaction is back - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Autonomous Transaction is back
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 02:30:53PM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > It's an exceptionally-challenging development project, agreed.  So much code
> > assumes the 1:1 relationship between backends and top-level transactions.
>
> I guess I'm being obtuse, but can you explain why that assumption must
> be revisited?

It's not imperative, but the proposal on the table does so.  Robert described
doing so as "a key design goal for this feature"[1].  I have a general picture
of why the proposers chose that, but I will defer to them for any elaboration.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmoZE__KOHfUyVZpxvTJSB85xm34KC_t41-OXhTB_111SHQ@mail.gmail.com