Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date
Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-08-31 20:54:51 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Uh, we already have a list of things we need to add to FDWs to make them
> work, and Citus Data has provided a document of more things that are
> needed, https://goo.gl/vJWF85.  I am not sure how much bigger a red flag
> you want to confirm that everyone agrees that major FDW improvements are
> a requirement for this.

Several people saying that the FDW infrastructure isn't sufficient right
now is pretty far from implying that all of them agree that the FDW API
is the way to go.

I'm not sure myself. If it works out it's going to save us some work and
make it more realistic to get there sometime not too far off. But I'm
afraid that the resulting system will feel like our current partitioning
implemenentation. Yes, it kinda works, but it's hard to get started, it
doesn't support too many features and you're kind afraid your relatives
will see what you've done.