Re: 9.4 broken on alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: 9.4 broken on alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-08-25 15:43:12 -0400, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
> As for the dropped support, has the Alpha specific code been ripped
> out? Would it still presumably run on Alpha?

I'm pretty sure that postgres hasn't run correctly under concurrency on
alpha for a long while. The lax cache coherency makes developing
concurrent code hard. Since there are rarely, if ever, people testing
postgres on alpha under load it's nigh on impossible to verify anything.

Having to adhere to a more complicated memory model than for any other
architecture isn't worth it, since there barely are users.

Greetings,

Andres Freund