Re: 9.4 broken on alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 9.4 broken on alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Aaron W. Swenson wrote:

> I've been meaning to report this myself.
>
> In the 4 years that that particular line has been there, not once had
> anyone else run into it on Gentoo until a couple months ago.
>
> And it isn't a case of end users missing it as we have arch testers
> that test packages before marking them suitable for public consumption.
>
> Alpha is one of the arches.

This means that not once has anybody compiled in an Alpha in 4 years.

> As for the dropped support, has the Alpha specific code been ripped
> out? Would it still presumably run on Alpha?

Yes, code has been ripped out.  I would assume that it doesn't build at
all anymore, but maybe what happens is you get spinlocks emulated with
semaphores and it's only horribly slow.  See
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=a6d488cb538c8761658f0f7edfc40cecc8c29f2d