Re: buildfarm does not test "make check" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: buildfarm does not test "make check"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> The buildfarm server doesn't control anything the clients do except it
> provides them with a list of branches we are interested in. Even that is
> invisible to the main program, and only used by the wrapper run_branches.pl.
> The main program can run entirely offline and I'm going to resist moves to
> make it otherwise. (Yes it needs access to git, but even that can be
> finessed.)

Understood.

> If you want some way of specifying this, put it in the source, e.g. invent a
> directory src/test/buildfarm_support and put it there. That way committers
> have automatic access to it, which they certainly don't to the buildfarm
> server. I'd rather just make it a small piece of perl instead of
> JSON,though.

Makes plenty of sense, thanks.

> You're also going to have to handle the msvc side of things. That won't be
> trivial. See discussion elsewhere today about how we've got that wrong
> recently.

Oh my.  The pg_upgrade code in src/tools/msvc/vcregress.pl looks rather
unhealthy, and I don't see anything there to handle test_decoding, so I
assume that's done differently somehow.  (For pg_upgrade surely we should
not be using a shell script ...)

I don't have time to go through this right now, but it's on my list of
things to think about.