Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug  8, 2015 at 02:49:21PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > What I _am_ saying is that you should use the same criteria I am using,
> > > and just disagree on the place for the line, rather than use a different
> > > criteria, which will lead to perpetual complaints.  We can change the
> > > criteria, but that is a different discussion.
> >
> > We need to change that criteria then.
>
> Then you need to start a new thread on that topic to get community
> agreement that I can implement, and we can probably change 9.5 to match.
>
> You might also want to address the fact we don't list all bug fixes in
> the release notes either if the bug is a rare, minor event, and/or if
> the new error message is sufficient communication to users.
>
> One way of minimizing the downside of any new such entries is to have a
> "Minor performance improvements" or "Internal performance improvements"
> section in the release notes so people will realize they are not of the
> same import as other items --- same for possible new bug fix listings.

I have updated src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES to document the criteria I use
to create the major release notes:
               o  new features and options               o  major performance improvements               o  bug fixes
forserious or common bugs               o  incompatibilities               o  major source code changes

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +