Re: Fwd: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Fwd: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug  6, 2015 at 11:19:46AM -0700, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     I have committed the first draft of the 9.5 release notes.  You can view
>     the output here:
>
>             http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-9-5.html
>
>     and it will eventually appear here:
>
>             http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/release.html
>
>     I am ready to make suggested adjustments, though I am traveling for
>     conferences for the next ten days so there might a delay in my replies.
>

> "Improve the speed of sorting character and numeric fields"
>
> Here, does "numeric" refer specifically to the type "numeric", or to all fields
> which are numeric in nature?
>
> If the former (which I think it is, as other numeric types are pass-by-value to
> start with), it should probably get some sgml markup.

You are right, is only NUMERIC.  It was this commit:
commit abd94bcac4582903765be7be959d1dbc121df0d0Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>Date:   Thu Apr 2 14:02:55
2015-0400    Use abbreviated keys for faster sorting of numeric datums.    Andrew Gierth, reviewed by Peter Geoghegan,
withfurther tweaks by me.

I changed it to <type>NUMERIC</>.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +