Re: 9.5 feature count - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 9.5 feature count
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have run a script to count the number of "<listitem>" items in the
> major release notes of each major version of Postgres back to 7.4:
>
>     7.4    280
>     8.0    238
>     8.1    187
>     8.2    230
>     8.3    237
>     8.4    330
>     9.0    252
>     9.1    213
>     9.2    250
>     9.3    187
>     9.4    217
>     9.5    176
>
> The 9.5 number will only change a little by 9.5 final.

I think doing this kind of "analysis" can lead to bad incentives; should
we split two items that are unrelated but touch similarly-sounding parts
of the code, should we merge items that are actually pretty much the
same thing?  It's either pointless, because people in-the-know actually
realizes that it doesn't actually mean anything, or confusing because
people think that some releases are bigger than others because they have
"more features".

Maybe there's a reasonable way to measure releases (my 8.0 is bigger
than your 9.1!), but I don't think this is it.