Re: The real reason why TAP testing isn't ready for prime time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: The real reason why TAP testing isn't ready for prime time
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-06-19 13:56:21 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> We discussed this when that patch got in (82233ce7ea42d6b).  The reason
> for not waiting, it was argued, is that the most likely reason for those
> processes not to have already gone away by the time we send SIGKILL was
> that they are stuck somewhere in the kernel, and so we might not be able
> to actually get them to go away with the SIGKILL.  As I recall, that was
> the actual problem that MauMau was trying to get fixed.

How does exiting before they're dead help? They're still going to be
attached to shared memeory and thus prevent a restart. I don't think
hiding the problem by exiting the postmaster helps at all.

I don't think it's our job to protect against processes stuck in the
kernel. If that happens something seriously has gone wrong, and we
shouldn't just continue without making that visible.