Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_audit, an auditing extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_audit, an auditing extension
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 03:54:59PM -0400, David Steele wrote:
> I've certainly had quite the experience as a first-time contributor
> working on this patch.  Perhaps I bit off more than I should have and I
> definitely managed to ruffle a few feathers along the way.  I learned a
> lot about how the community works, both the good and the bad.  Fear not,
> though, I'm not so easily discouraged and you'll definitely be hearing
> more from me.

Glad to hear it.

> The stated purpose of contrib is: "include porting tools, analysis
> utilities, and plug-in features that are not part of the core PostgreSQL
> system, mainly because they address a limited audience or are too
> experimental to be part of the main source tree. This does not preclude
> their usefulness."
>
> Perhaps we should consider modifying that language, because from my
> perspective pg_audit fit the description perfectly.

"What is contrib?" attracts enduring controversy; see recent thread "RFC:
Remove contrib entirely" for the latest episode.  However that discussion
concludes, that documentation passage is not too helpful as a guide to
predicting contrib patch reception.  (Most recent contrib additions had an
obvious analogy to an existing module, sidestepping the question.)