Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [CORE] Restore-reliability mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh,

* Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> I would argue that if we delay 9.5 in order to do a 100% manual review
> of code, without adding any new automated tests or other non-manual
> tools for improving stability, then it's a waste of time; we might as
> well just release the beta, and our users will find more issues than we
> will.  I am concerned that if we declare a cleanup period, especially in
> the middle of the summer, all that will happen is that the project will
> go to sleep for an extra three months.

This is the exact same concern that I have.  A delay just to have a
delay is not useful.  I completely agree that we need more automated
testing, etc, though getting all of that set up and running could be
done at any time too- there's no reason to wait, nor do I believe
delaying 9.5 would make such automated testing appear.
Thanks!
    Stephen