Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 12:09:16PM -0400, David Steele wrote:
> On 5/31/15 11:49 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
> > On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 09:51:04PM -0400, David Steele wrote:
> >> Sure - I can write code to do that.  But then why release a beta at all?
> >
> > It's largely for the benefit of folks planning manual, or otherwise high-cost,
> > testing.  If you budget for just one big test per year, make it a test of
> > beta1.  For inexpensive testing, you may as well ignore beta and test git
> > master daily or weekly.
>
> I've gotten to the point of (relatively) high-cost coding/testing.  The
> removal of checkpoint_segments and pause_on_recovery are leading to
> refactoring of not only the regressions tests but the actual backup
> code.  9.5 and 8.3 are the only versions that require exceptions in the
> code base.
>
> I've already done basic testing against 9.5 by disabling certain tests.
>  Now I'm at the point where I need to start modifying code to take new
> 9.5 features/changes into account and make sure the regression tests
> work for 8.3-9.5 with the fewest number of exceptions possible.

Release of beta1 is the cue for that sort of work.

> From the perspective of backup/restore testing, 9.5 has the most changes
> since 9.0.  I'd like to know that the API at least is stable before
> investing the time in new development.

Its API will be as good as pgsql-hackers could make it; beta1 is also a call
for help discovering API problems we overlooked.  Subsequent API changes are
usually reactions to beta test reports.