Re: pg_xlog -> pg_xjournal? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Abhijit Menon-Sen
Subject Re: pg_xlog -> pg_xjournal?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 2015-05-31 13:46:33 -0400, tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:

> just always create pg_xlog as a symlink to pg_xjournal during initdb.

At first glance, the Subject: of this thread made me think that *was*
Joel's proposal. :-) But I think it's a great idea, and worth doing.

I think "pg_journal" (no "x") is sufficient. The journal is an idea that
people are familiar with from filesystems anyway.

> Note that we'd really also have to rename pg_clog etc

pg_clog could become pg_commits or pg_xactstatus or pg_commit_status or
something. What else is there? I'd hope pg_logical can be left alone.

> A more difficult question is whether we'd also rename pg_resetxlog,
> pg_receivexlog, etc.

I don't think it's necessary. (Of course, people have wanted to rename
pg_resetxlog to make it sound more scary anyway, but that's a different
matter.)

> In the end though, this is a lot of thrashing for a problem that
> only comes up rarely ...

I'll agree with Joel that it comes up far too often for comfort anyway.
I've known a number of people who were on the verge of deleting stuff
from pg_xlog, but just happened to check with me first.

-- Abhijit