Re: Feedback on getting rid of VACUUM FULL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Feedback on getting rid of VACUUM FULL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby wrote:

> Honestly, I'd prefer we exposed some way to influence where a new tuple gets
> put, and perhaps better ways of accessing tuples on a specific page. That
> would make it a lot easier to handle this in userspace, but it would also
> make it easier to do things like concurrent clustering. Or just organizing a
> table however you wanted.

That's great and all, but it doesn't help people who have already, for
whatever reason, ran into severe bloat and cannot take long enough
downtime to run VACUUM FULL.

> That said, why not just pull what Heikki did into contrib, and add the
> necessary mode to heap_update?

Sure, that's what I suggest.  We just need to fix the bugs and (as Tom
puts it) "infelicities."