Re: Policy for expiring lists WAS: Idea for a secondary list server - Mailing list pgsql-www

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Policy for expiring lists WAS: Idea for a secondary list server
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 11:56:37AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > OK, here's my proposal:
>
> The archival issue, together with the possibility of reactivation, is
> precisely what makes deletion difficult.  What you seem to want is not
> to delete them, but to make them inactive, so that they can be activated
> later for whatever reason.  Right?
>
> (Majordomo does have the feature to set lists as inactive, which means
> no email is distributed through them.  They can later be reactivated.)
>
> Your comments on the usefulness of the SFPUG list are pretty surprising.

It's not surprising, but it is incomplete in a crucial detail.

> If SFPUG works well without a list, why do other PUGs need one?

It doesn't work without a list.  The list provided via postgresql.org
has been supplanted by the list Meetup.com supplies as part of its
service.

While Meetup.com provides a feature set and an ease of use which to my
knowledge is unmatched in actual working systems, it is a USD 140
annual expense which I incur personally.  I do so because I believe
it's important that SPFUG have that feature set, and because I can
afford it.

I do not think it is a good idea to force everybody else starting a
PUG incur such an expense.

> Maybe mailing lists for PUGs are a thing of the past -- perhaps we
> need to be thinking on getting the @postgres twitter account to
> re-tweet announcements posted by PUGs, or something like that, more
> suited to today's usage of comm channels rather than 1990's.

I think it would be great to supplement such lists with twitter, but
the lists are used for a good bit more than broadcast announcements.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!