Re: Upgrading to 9.4 to get replication slots (was Re: Streaming replication and WAL archiving) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David F. Skoll
Subject Re: Upgrading to 9.4 to get replication slots (was Re: Streaming replication and WAL archiving)
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 08:04:43 -0700
Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:

> I don't remember the beginning of the thread. Did you consider Slony?
> It's more configuration, but it would reduce downtime to almost 0.

We have looked at Slony in the past, but AFAIK it cannot replicate
tables that lack a primary key and we have a few of those.  Also
AFAIK, slony requires an initial sync of the databases with
dump/restore.  Finally our database is quite busy and very
write-heavy, so I worry about the performance impact of all the Slony
triggers.

Regards,

David.