Re: [HACKERS] Check that streaming replica received all data after master shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Check that streaming replica received all data after master shutdown
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 2:11 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com
> > wrote:
>
> > On 01/13/2015 12:11 PM, Vladimir Borodin wrote:
> >

> >> 05 янв. 2015 г., в 18:15, Vladimir Borodin <root@simply.name> написал(а):
> >>
> >>  Hi all.

> > Don't rely on it being 104 bytes. It can vary across versions, and across
> > different architectures.
> >
> > You could simply check that the standby's pg_last_xlog_replay_location() >
> > master's "Latest checkpoint location", and not care about the exact
> > difference.
> >

>  I believe there were some changes made in v9.3 which will wait for pending
> WALs to be replica​ted before a fast and smart shutdown (of master) can
> close the replication connection.
>
> http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/985bd7d49726c9f178558491d31a570d47340459

I don't understand the relation between it and 104 bytes, it says
that the change is backpatched up to 9.1. Since it assures all
xlog records to be transferred if no trouble happens. Relying on
the mechanism, you don't need to check that if master is known to
have gracefully shut down and had no trouble around the
environment. Judging from that you want this check, I suppose
you're not guaranteed not to have trouble or not trusting the
mechanism itself.

Given the condition, as Alvaro said upthread, verifying that the
last record is a shutdown checkpoint should raise a lot the
chance for the all record being received except for the exteme
case such that the master have upped and downed while replication
connection cannot be made. For the case, I think there's no means
to confirm that by standby alone, you should at least compare the
next LSN to the last xlog record with the old master by any
means. Or doing any sanity check of the database on the standby
utilizing the nature of the data instead?

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center