Re: orangutan seizes up during isolation-check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: orangutan seizes up during isolation-check
Date
Re: orangutan seizes up during isolation-check  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 07:20:04PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 12/28/2014 04:58 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> >The gettext maintainer was open to implementing the setlocale_native_forked()
> >technique in gettext, though the last visible progress was in October.  In any
> >event, PostgreSQL builds will see older gettext for several years.  If
> >setlocale-darwin-fork-v1.patch is not wanted, I suggest making the postmaster
> >check during startup whether it has become multithreaded.  If multithreaded:
> >
> >   FATAL: postmaster became multithreaded during startup
> >   HINT: Set the LC_ALL environment variable to a valid locale.

> >I would like to go ahead and commit setlocale-main-harden-v1.patch, which is a
> >good thing to have regardless of what happens with gettext.
> >

> I'm OK with this, but on its own it won't fix orangutan's problems, will it?

Right; setlocale-main-harden-v1.patch fixes a bug not affecting orangutan at
all.  None of the above will make orangutan turn green.  Checking
multithreading during startup would merely let it fail cleanly.