Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:

> (I note that the proposal to have the CFM review everything is merely
> one way of meeting the need to have senior people spend more time
> reviewing.  But I assure all of you that I spend as much time
> reviewing as I can find time for.  If someone wants to pay me the same
> salary I'm making now to do nothing but review patches, I'll think
> about it.  But even then, that would also mean that I wasn't spending
> time writing patches of my own.)

I have heard the idea of a "cross-company PostgreSQL foundation" of some
sort that would hire a developer just to manage commitfests, do patch
reviews, apply bugfixes, etc, without the obligations that come from
individual companies' schedules for particular development roadmaps,
customer support, and the like.  Of course, only a senior person would
be able to fill this role because it requires considerable experience.

Probably this person should be allowed to work on their own patches if
they so desire; otherwise there is a risk that experience dilutes.
Also, no single company should dictate what this person's priorities
are, other than general guidelines: general stability, submitted patches
get attention, bugs get closed, releases get out, coffee gets brewed.