Re: moving from contrib to bin - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: moving from contrib to bin
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-12-08 22:50:30 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not exactly convinced that we want to encourage packagers to include
> either pg_test_fsync or pg_test_timing in standard packages.  They are not
> all that useful to ordinary users.

I actually think both are quite useful when setting up new systems to
quickly screen for problems. There still is a fairly large number of
virtualized systems with pretty much broken timing functions; and
checking whether fsync actually takes some time is also good thing to do
in virtualized environments - it's not an infrequent thing to see fsyncs
taking unrealistically low time.

Neither is likely to be harmful. So it doesn't seem harmful to move
them.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services