Re: superuser() shortcuts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: superuser() shortcuts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:

> > > Because I don't feel it's pointless to improve the consistency of the
> > > error messaging and I don't like that it's inconsistent today.
> >
> > Then please do so outside of patches/threads that do something pretty
> > much unrelated.
>
> Alright, I bothered to go back and find the relevant message- it's this
> one: 20141022231834.GA1587@alvin.alvh.no-ip.org where Alvaro pointed out
> that the messaging is inconsistent and asked that this patch should
> include the correct wording (whatever we decide it to be) and further
> commentary in 20141023232302.GH1791@alvin.alvh.no-ip.org matches that..
> I didn't bring this up and I'm getting a bit put-out by the constant
> implications that it's just all me and my crazy ideas for consistency.
> Perhaps Alvaro doesn't care to argue the position further, which is
> fine, but at least acknowledge that there are others who agree that
> we're currently inconsistent (Alvaro and, I believe, Peter).

Several dozens messages ago in this thread I would have dropped this
item, TBH.  *Maybe* I would consider changing the specific messages
around the specific code that's being tinkered with, but probably not
other ones.

I haven't looked at this patch recently, but if it's changing 1% of the
error messages in the backend, I doubt it's a good idea.

More in general, if I see strong, well-rationalized opposition to some
non-essential idea of mine, I tend to drop it because I don't see the
value in arguing endlessly.  Life's already way too short.