Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 12/02/2014 06:25 AM, Alex Shulgin wrote:

> > Whatever tricks we might employ will likely
> > be defeated by the fact that the oldschool user will fail to *include*
> > recovery.conf in the main conf file.
>
> Well, can we merge this patch and then fight out what to do for the
> transitional users as a separate patch?

You seem to be saying "I don't have any good idea how to solve this
problem now, but I will magically have one once this is committed".  I'm
not sure that works very well.

In any case, the proposal upthread that we raise an error if
recovery.conf is found seems sensible enough.  Users will see it and
they will adjust their stuff -- it's a one-time thing.  It's not like
they switch a version forwards one week and back the following week.