Re: Is this fixable? - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Is this fixable?
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Markus Wanner 2014-10-20 <5444BAF0.6020308@bluegap.ch>
> >> to date I've witnessed four postgres beginners then trying to
> >> install postgres-xc and really messing up their servers.
>
> Granted, the advice is unfortunate. However, given postgres-xc conflicts
> with postgresql-common, the package manager would have to ask about
> uninstalling postgresql-common and all dependent Postgres packages. That
> would raise a couple of red flags for me. So I'm also a bit surprised
> people manage to screw their systems that way... AKA: It ain't broken
> *that* badly.

I've seen people who had gone down that road pop up on #postgresql
more than once in the past. But yes, if you install something and it
nukes half of your system, you somewhat get to break the pieces.
(OTOH, if tons of HOWTOs on the internet and the PG docs talk about
using pg_ctl, installing -xc to get it isn't that far-fetched.)

> Another, simplistic idea: Given these packages currently conflict, could
> (and should) postgresql-common provide a wrapper or dummy /usr/bin/pg_ctl?

I've been pondering that, but I don't think that's a change we should
be doing in the last week before the jessie freeze.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/