Re: split builtins.h to quote.h - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: split builtins.h to quote.h
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Noah Misch (noah@leadboat.com) wrote:
> >>
> >> Agreed.  If the patch preserved compatibility by having builtins.h include
> >> quote.h, I would not object.
> >
> > That seems reasonable to me also- though I'd caveat it as "for now" and
> > make sure to make a note of the reason it's included in the comments...
>
> Yuck.  I think if we're going to break it, we should just break it.

I'm fine with that, for my part- was simply looking for a compromise,
and having a "deprecated" period of time seemed reasonable.

> No significant advantage will be gained by splitting it out and then
> #including it; nobody's really going to fix their module builds until
> they actually break.

Well, hopefully folks on -hackers would, though I agree that others
aren't likely to.

> What I find strange about the actual patch is that it moves some but
> not all of the prototypes for the stuff that ends up in quote.c into
> quote.h.  That doesn't seem right.

Agreed.
Thanks,
    Stephen