Re: Requesting an update from templates. - Mailing list pgsql-translators

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Requesting an update from templates.
Date
List pgsql-translators
Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> in trying to apply my own changes, submitted via pgfoundry,
> to pg_ctl.po and pg_controldata.po, thus easing the burden
> on the maintainer of translations, I stumbled on
>
>   * the collection of msgid's contained in the Swedish
>     po-files of the master branch are _NOT_ in sync with
>     the master templates.

This is normal.

What I do, as a translator(*), is to grab the merged files from babel,
which contain no difference in translations from the source files in
master (only merges to latest source code), and commit that.  This is a
mechanical but very bulky change with no interest.  Then translate that
file and commit separately.  This makes it easy for other people to
review the diffs, since human involvement only occurs in the second
commit.

We want to avoid spurious commits to the master branch, which is why
we don't do the first kind of commit separately.  At least, that's how I
see it.