Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> On Fri, Aug  8, 2014 at 08:25:04PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
> > > FYI, pg_upgrade could be taught to refuse to upgrade from earlier 9.4
> > > betas and report the problem JSONB columns.
> >
> > That is *not* a good solution..
>
> If you change the JSONB binary format, and we can't read the old format,
> that is the only option.

Apologies- I had thought you were suggesting this for a 9.4 -> 9.5
conversion, not for just 9.4beta to 9.4.  Adding that to pg_upgrade to
address folks upgrading from betas would certainly be fine.
Thanks,
    Stephen