Re: Is analyze_new_cluster.sh still useful? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Is analyze_new_cluster.sh still useful?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Jeff Janes 2014-06-20 <CAMkU=1z3Edq+CNRo4F=jBEzXNMidSskdm=cPcAZnOgdY2sivXw@mail.gmail.com>
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Christoph Berg
> <christoph.berg@credativ.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > now that we have vacuumdb --all --analyze-in-stages in 9.4, wouldn't
> > it make sense to get rid of the analyze_new_cluster.sh file which
> > pg_upgrade writes? The net content is a single line which could as
> > well be printed by pg_upgrade itself. Instead of an lengthy
> > explanation how to invoke that manually, there should be a short note
> > and a pointer to some manual section. I think the chances of people
> > reading that would even be increased.
>
> That one line was longer in the past, it could become longer again in
> the future.  I don't think we should toggle the presentation back and
> forth from version to version depending how long it happens to be.

I doubt that would happen. If there's more than analyze to do after
the upgrade, the file would get a new name, so the "API" would change
anyway.

> > Similary, I don't really see the usefulness of delete_old_cluster.sh
> > as a file, when "rm -rf" could just be presented on the console for
> > the admin to execute by cut-and-paste.
>
> I certainly would not want to run rm -rf commands copied off the
> console window.  A slip of the mouse (or the paste buffer) and
> suddenly you are removing entirely the wrong level of the directory
> tree.

Well I don't like shell scripts containing rm -rf commands sitting in
the filesystem either.

> But I wouldn't mind an option to suppress the creation of those files.

Another nitpick here: What pg_upgrade outputs doesn't even work on
most systems, you need to ./analyze_new_cluster.sh or "sh
analyze_new_cluster.sh".

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Christoph Berg
--
Senior Berater, Tel.: +49 (0)21 61 / 46 43-187
credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080, USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209