Re: Error while upgrading from 8.4 to 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Error while upgrading from 8.4 to 9.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:19:24AM -0300, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:
> Hi, we are trying to upgrade from 8.4 to 9.3, but at the end of the
> process we've got the error:
>
> command: "/usr/lib/postgresql/9.3/bin/pg_resetxlog" -o 2429057 "/mnt/datos/datos_9.3/main" >>
"pg_upgrade_utility.log"2>&1
> pg_resetxlog: lock file «postmaster.pid» exists
> Is a server running?  If not, delete the lock file and try again.
>
> Our setup is this:
> Server: Ubuntu 12.04 – 32 bits
> Clusters: Postgresql 8.4 y Postgresql 9.3
>
> The steps we followed are:
>
> 1) pg_upgrade using –-check result Ok.
> 2) pg_upgrade without --check
>
> Everything went ok, data directory was copied without problems.
>
> At the end, we got the error I mentioned at the beggining of this email.
>
> P.S.: pg_upgrade_utility.log attached.

I am not sure what would cause this.  At the point where you get this
error, pg_upgrade has already started and stopped the old and new
servers, so I am not sure why the pid file would exist.  Is it possible
the file copy was so fast that the new cluster had not fully shut down?
Seems odd because 9.3 has code to detect that the server is fully down.

  + Everyone has their own god. +