Re: hidden junk files in ...data/base/oid/ - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: hidden junk files in ...data/base/oid/
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrej Vanek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> solved.
> This is not a postgres issue.
>
> The system was used in HA-cluster with streaming replications.
> The hidden files I asked for were created probably by broken (killed)
> rsync. It uses such file-format for temporary files used during copying.
>
> This rsync is used by master to slave database synchronization (full
> on-line backup of master database to slave node) before starting postgres
> in hot-standby mode on slave the node...

You not only have leftover first-order rsync temp files (.NNNNN.uvwxyz)
-- but also when those temp files were being copied over by another
rsync run, which created temp files for the first-order temp files,
leaving you with second-order temp files (..NNNNN.uvwxyz.opqrst).  Not
nice.  I wonder if this is anywhere near sanity -- it looks like you're
copying stuff from one direction first, then failed over, then copied in
the opposite direction.  I would have your setup reviewed real closely,
to avoid data-corrupting configuration mistakes.  I have seen people
make subtle mistakes in their configuration, causing their whole HA
setups to be completely broken.