Re: pg_dumpall reccomendation in release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_dumpall reccomendation in release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 06:41:26PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not sure what "many limitations" you think pg_dumpall has that pg_dump
> doesn't.
>
> I do think that it might be time to reword this to recommend pg_upgrade
> first, though.  ISTM that the current wording dates from when pg_upgrade
> could charitably be described as experimental.

Wow, so pg_upgrade takes the lead!  And from Tom too!  :-)

I agree with Tom that mentioning pg_dump/restore is going to lead to
global object data loss, and throwing the users to a URL with no
explaination isn't going to help either.  What we could do is to
restructure the existing text and add a link to the upgrade URL for more
details.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +