Re: old warning in docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: old warning in docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct  7, 2013 at 08:43:27AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 07:51:44AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >
> > Given that we have not supported releases older than 8.3 for quite a
> > while, do we need to keep this in extend.sgml any longer?
> >
> >   <caution>
> >     <para>
> >      Changing <varname>PG_CONFIG</varname> only works when building
> >      against <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> 8.3 or later.
> >      With older releases it does not work to set it to anything except
> >      <literal>pg_config</>; you must alter your <varname>PATH</>
> >      to select the installation to build against.
> >     </para>
> >    </caution>
>
> I say "bin it."  That reminds me.  There are probably a lot of places
> in the docs that refer to versions of PostgreSQL a good bit older than
> 8.3.  Will grep and patch as I get the time.

I have created the attached patch which removes many of the pre-8.0
references, and trims some of the 8.1-8.3 references.  There are
probably some of these that should be kept, but it is easier to show you
all the possibilities and we can trim down the removal list based on
feedback.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Attachment