Re: pgdg GDAL version - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: pgdg GDAL version
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Denis Rouzaud 2014-01-23 <52E0B4D3.8090109@gmail.com>
> Dear Christoph,
>
> I was looking for contacting a maintainer of the PGDG and I found
> your contact from the history of the wiki page.
>
> I wanted to ask you if you have any short intention to use GDAL 1.10
> in this repository.
>
> The main problem is that there is a conflict version between
> ubuntu-gis unstable and the pgdg repos.
>
> The short story is, PGDG apt repository for Debian/Ubuntu PostGIS
> 2.1 is based on GDAL 1.9,
> while UbuntuGIS-unstable and related repos are based on GDAL 1.10
> with updated drivers.
>
> Please let me know if you have any info on this.
>
> Best regards and thanks for your work!

Hi Denis,

the osgeo people have asked the same question last week.

The story is as follows:

In wheezy, sid, and trusty (Ubuntu 14.04), we are using the gdal that
comes with that distribution, while in precise (Ubuntu 12.04) we are
using a backport of the wheezy version (which was also the sid version
at the time we built that package).

I've tried to push a newer gdal package into precise, but that fails
horribly because precise doesn't have dh-python, and if you try to
produce a backport of that as well, the python3 version there is too
old.

An alternative would be to rip out the python3 parts of gdal to make
it build in precise, but that would be a regression compared to what
we have there now. I have pretty much no clue about gdal, so it won't
be me to dig into this.

One way that could work was to look into what the osgeo people have
done to get postgis working. I was under the impression that the PPA
for this was https://launchpad.net/~johanvdw/+archive/osgeolive , but
that doesn't seem to contain gdal, so they seem to have taken some
other route (probably just recompiling postgis against whatever gdal
they ship).

If you have a suggestion for how to resolve this, please let us know.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Attachment