Re: INSERT...ON DUPLICATE KEY LOCK FOR UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: INSERT...ON DUPLICATE KEY LOCK FOR UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-11-27 01:09:49 -0800, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 8:19 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> > There are some visibility-related race conditions even still
>
> I also see this, sandwiched between the very many "deadlock detected"
> errors recorded over 6 or so hours (this is in chronological order,
> with no ERRORs omitted within the range shown):
>
> ERROR:  deadlock detected
> ERROR:  deadlock detected
> ERROR:  deadlock detected
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  unable to fetch updated version of tuple
> ERROR:  deadlock detected
> ERROR:  deadlock detected
> ERROR:  deadlock detected
> ERROR:  deadlock detected
>
> This, along with the already-discussed "attempted to update invisible
> tuple" forms a full account of unexpected ERRORs seen during the
> extended run of the test case, so far.

I think at least the "unable to fetch updated version of tuple" ERRORs
are likely to be an unrelated 9.3+ BUG that I've recently
reported. Alvaro has a patch. C.f. 20131124000203.GA4403@alap2.anarazel.de

Even the "deadlock detected" errors might be a fkey-locking issue. Bug
#8434, but that's really hard to know without more details.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services