Re: Commitfest II CLosed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Commitfest II CLosed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-10-21 10:19:22 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 10/21/2013 10:14 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Well, who are you going to get to review things that they consider
> > simply bad ideas? I have no problem investing serious time in doing
> > detailed reviews of patches I can see the point of, but reviews of stuff
> > I think is pointless? Not really.
>
> That's still a review, if you actually do it.  "I don't think this patch
> adds useful functionality because ..."

Which people usually aren't happy enough with to accept their patch is
refused. And usually you need a good amount of people disagreeing with
something to make it go away.
Those discussions usually take a good amount of energy. That many will
prefer on something they see as productive. Like reviewing patches they
see the point of.

> >> At some point folks on this list are going to admit that we have a
> >> serious problem with reviews and reviewers, and that it's worth a
> >> project-wide effort to do something about it.  Apparently that day
> >> hasn't come yet; most people are still in denial.
> >
> > The fact that people do agree with your solutions, doesn't imply that
> > they don't care about the problem itself.
>
> The fact that people don't propose of put any work into solutions of
> their own, while opposing solutions proposed by others, shows that they
> don't actually care.  Where's your solution?

I find it utterly ridiculous to accuse the people that *do* reviews of
not doing anything. By doing code-level reviews reviewers teach authors
and bystanders more about the code. Which actually can increase the
number of review(ers) and even committers in the long run.

And no, not having an own solution, doesn't turn somebody elses
non-solution into a solution.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services