Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Responses Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost escribió:

> And what about
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-file-locations.html
>
>  ... ?
>
>    "When setting any of these parameters, a relative path will be
>    interpreted with respect to the directory in which postgres is
>    started."

That's talking about the data_directory and the various foo_file
settings, though; it doesn't apply to the include settings.  Note
especially that config_file says it can only be set on the postgres
command line.  (I think a saner definition would have been to state that
relative paths are not allowed in the command line.  But that ship has
already sailed.  And relative paths seem useful in the config file; and
maintaining the distinction that they are allowed within the config file
but not in the command line might be awkward.)

(Uhm, when a command line contains stuff, is the stuff "in" the command
line or "on" it?)