Re: confusing error message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: confusing error message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> This is all sufficiently bizarre that I don't know if there's an
> easy explanation.

It occurs to me that users, when faced with complex error messages, are
very likely to go to their favorite search engine with it and rarely
does that lead them to any documentation on the subject but instead they
get mailing list archives or q-and-a type of websites.

Perhaps we should add an area to our documentation which provides more
information about the specific error messages which PostgreSQL returns?
That's not a terribly exciting bit of documentation to write, but
perhaps it would be very useful for our users.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
    Stephen