Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus escribió:

> (2) Enabling DBAAS services to give users limited control over settings.

> (5) Enabling new ways of writing Puppet/Chef/etc. scripts, which can
> check a setting before changing it.

Surely these two cases are better covered by conf.d.  For (2), DBaaS
providers could offer pre-cooked snippets that are dropped in conf.d at
the click of a button.  For (5) it should be obvious that conf.d is
better than ALTER SYSTEM.

Not clear on (4); I think conf.d would also solve that one.