Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 01:04:42PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 08/01/2013 12:15 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
>> 1. Include in the base backup a file listing symbolic links/junction points,
>> then have archive recovery recreate them.  This file would be managed like the
>> backup label file; exclusive backups would actually write it to the master
>> data directory, and non-exclusive backups would incorporate it on the fly.
>> pg_basebackup could also omit the actual links from its backup.  Nearly any
>> tar or file copy utility would then suffice.
>>
>> 2. Add a pg_basebackup option like "--destdir" or "--sysroot", meaningful only
>> with -Fp; tablespace backups will be stored relative to it.  So if the actual
>> tablespace path is c:/foo, --destdir=c:/backups/today would backup that
>> tablespace to c:/backups/today/c/foo.  This facilitates same-server use of -Fp
>> on all platforms.

> I like #1, it seems nice and workable.

Agreed.  I'll lean in that direction for resolving the proximate problem.

> I also like the concept of #2, but I think we need to think about it a
> bit more. One of the things I like about barman backups is that on
> recovery you can map where tablespaces go, on a per tablespace basis
> (it's not very well documented, or wasn't when I last looked, but it
> does work). I think something like that would be awesome to have for
> pg_basebackup. So allowing multiple options of the form
>
>     --map-tablespace c:/foo/bar=d:/baz/blurfl
>
> or some such would be great.

Good point.  I see now that the syntax I floated covered just one slice of a
whole range of things folks might want in that area.

Thanks,
nm

--
Noah Misch