Re: Sub-optimal plan for a paginated query on a view with another view inside of it. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From
Subject Re: Sub-optimal plan for a paginated query on a view with another view inside of it.
Date
List pgsql-performance

I apologise, I have neglected to mention Postgres versions tested. It occurs with 9.0 and 9.2

I have typo in my previous message - the sentence about vacuum, reindex and analyze should be:

"I had also run vacuum, reindex and analyze on the whole database, but it seems to have had no effect."

Thanks for any thoughts on the issue.

Peter Slapansky

> Od: <slapo@centrum.sk>
> Komu: <pgsql-performance@postgresql.org>
> Dátum: 02.08.2013 15:43
> Predmet: Sub-optimal plan for a paginated query on a view with another view inside of it.

Good day,

I have a performance issue when JOINing a view within another view more than once.
The query takes over three seconds to execute, which is too long in this case. It's not a problem if the tables are nearly empty, but that isn't the case on the production database.

I suspect the planner thinks it's better to first put together the v_address view and JOIN it to the parcel table later on, but the function "fx_get_user_tree_subordinates_by_id" should be JOINed to the parcel table first, as it reduces the number of rows to less than 200 and any following JOINs would be much faster.

I have also ran vacuum, reindex and analyze on the whole database, but it seems to have had to effect.

Is there any way to nudge the planner toward that way of execution?

This is the query:
https://app.box.com/s/jzxiuuxoyj28q4q8rzxr

This is the query plan:
https://app.box.com/s/u8nk6qvkjs4ae7l7dh4h (plain text)