Re: news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change?
Date
List pgsql-www
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> On 06/13/2013 06:49 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >* Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> >>Thing is, I don't think that kind of announcement
> >>belongs on the postgresql.org home page.
> >
> >I'm not entirely sure that I agree.  For one thing, it helps argue
> >against the "there's no commercial support for OSS!" mentality which
> >still exists in some industries (particularly US government).
>
> I haven't heard this argument in a very long time and considering I
> have various governments constantly asking me to fill out RFPs (you
> can have them 2ndQuadrant/EDB, RFPs are the suck) I am not inclined
> to agree with your statement.

Perhaps that is a little dated- if so, all the better for us.

> The other part of me, and problem the bigger part says, "Absolutely
> not". Why? Because it isn't PostgreSQL news. It is 2ndQuadrant news.
> Maybe it belongs on -announce but it definitely doesn't belong on
> .Org news.

You know, I considered that distinction also...  Perhaps we should have
different policies for front-page news vs -announce.  I was speaking
from the -announce part (which is what I had approved, to be clear).  At
the same time, I was thinking "well, people who care about 'does PG have
commerical support options?' aren't likely to be the people subscribed
to -announce", so, from that perspective, it seemed to make sense to me.

It's certainly one of these 'edge' cases and, well, if that's the worst
thing we have to worry about, we're probably doing pretty well. ;)

Based on all that, I would still tend to lean towards the 'approve',
particularly for major PG supporters.
Thanks,
    Stephen