Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade -u
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 08:59:42AM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
> > [ moved to hacker ]
> >
> > Wow, I never realized other tools used -U for user, instead of -u.
> > Should I change pg_upgrade to use -U for 9.4?  I can keep supporting
> > -u as an undocumented option.
>
> That would make for consistency, but not change the broken behavior.
> Comments on this below.
>

> > I have applied the attached patch to document that you might need to
> > set connection parameters for vacuumdb.
>
> That will work as this is not a big deal, but have to admit, I didn't
> understand the logic you posted in your question.  If the src cluster
> has a alternate superuser (from initdb -U), and the the pg_upgrade
> command has to be supplied a -u/-U in order to work with the src
> cluster, why would you assume somehow the output cluster has changed
> to the default superuser when you build the vacuum script on the
> other side of pg_upgrade?  Is that even possible to accomplish?  Your
> statement about "forcing the values" throws me, as it seems to me the
> user is requesting the variation.  I have not dug into pg_upgrade's
> guts, so I may just be uninformed.

OK, so let's look again at what you can supply to pg_upgrade for
new cluster connections:
 -O, --new-options=OPTIONS     new cluster options to pass to the server -P, --new-port=NEWPORT        new cluster port
number(default 50432) -u, --user=NAME               cluster superuser (default "postgres")

So, probably all of these _could_ be propagated to created scripts, like
analyze_new_cluster.sh.  However, if we do that, we hardwire these
values into the script, meaning you can't override them with environment
variables like PGUSER.  The question is whether hard-wiring these helps
more than it hurts, and which ones should be hard-wired.

One new idea would be to add "$@" to the vacuumdb script parameters so
users could supply their own "-U myuser" options to the script.  That is
easy to do for Unix, which I assume all support "$@", but perhaps hard
for Windows.

http://enterprisedb.com