Re: pg_upgrade -u - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade -u
Date
Re: pg_upgrade -u
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May  8, 2013 at 08:52:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, May  8, 2013 at 05:05:05PM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:
> > A minor detail in 9.2.4, but I noticed that the pg_upgrade flag for
> > superuser, -u, does not get carried to a -U flag on the vacuumdb commands
> > written to analyze_new_cluster.sh.
>
> OK, let me look at this issue.

I have thought about this and there are potentially several options
specified to pg_upgrade that could be passed into scripts:

  -O, --new-options=OPTIONS     new cluster options to pass to the server
  -P, --new-port=NEWPORT        new cluster port number (default 50432)
  -u, --user=NAME               cluster superuser (default "root")

However, if we pass these items into the scripts, we then force these
values to be used, even if the user wants to use a different value.  It
is a balance between supplying defaults vs. requiring the user to supply
or change the values used during the ugprade.

At this point, I have favored _not_ supplying defaults in the script.
Do you have an alternative argument in favor of supplying defaults?