Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Cédric Villemain
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le mercredi 15 mai 2013 16:43:17, Andrew Dunstan a écrit :
> On 05/15/2013 10:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
> >> That said, I'm obviously outnumbered here.  What about the following
> >> compromise:  Use the configure-selected install program inside
> >> PostgreSQL (which we can test easily), and use install-sh under
> >> USE_PGXS?  Admittedly, the make install time of extensions is probably
> >> not an issue.
> >
> > That works for me, since as you say we can easily fix any such bugs
> > in the core code.  The scary thing about this for extension authors
> > is that they may very well see no bug in their own testing, only to
> > have their packages fall over in the wild.  We shouldn't make each
> > author who's copied that code rediscover the problem for themselves
> > that expensively.
>
> +1, although I will be renovating the Makefiles for all my extensions
> along the lines of my previous email.

pgxs.mk has some old rules to replace $libdir (and some few other maybe).
Maybe we can try to find what make sense for most of the extension authors and
add rules/target to pgxs.mk to reduce the useless copy/paste in the Makefile of
extensions.

So what's desirable ?
--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52