Re: Storing small image files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eduardo Morras
Subject Re: Storing small image files
Date
Re: Storing small image files
List pgsql-general
Hi Nelson. I worked with images and Postgresql, and want to add some comments:

On Thu, 9 May 2013 13:40:15 -0500
Nelson Green <nelsongreen84@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, this is kind of convoluted, but I got a couple of test cases that work
> for me. The steps to make the first one are below.
>
> First I took one of the photos and shrunk it real small using GIMP.

If you want to manipulate images automatically, don't use GIMP, use ImageMagick(for shell scripts) or OpenCV(for C
sourcecode)

> Then I
> manually converted that to a base64 encoded text file:
> /usr/bin/base64 < test.jpg > test.64

If you must to use the pg shell, perhaps coding Misa's function in other language (python f.ex.) allows you directly
insertthe bytea.

A use hint: disable toast compression for that table, images are already compressed, you don't need to waste time with
it.

> That outputs a base64 string that matches test.64. Outputting that to a
> file and then converting it back gives me my image:
> /usr/bin/base64 -d < output.64 > newtest.jpg
>
> Like I said, kind of crazy, but it satisfies me that my basic premise is
> doable. I'll still get one of the front-end developers to whip out some PHP
> just to be safe.
>
> Thanks to all!

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>